The Source for The Poor and the Homeless Begins Reopening Process
It took 18 months of the Pandemic to finally take a short-term toll on The Source for the poor and the homeless in Vero Beach. For 18 months, The Source’s doors stayed open to feed the homeless three hot meals a day, plus offer their full slate of programs and services to their clients, as well as delivering hot meals to those in need in Indian River County.
Then it took only two short weeks for the new Delta variant to strike The Source’s employees and their families…one by one…and deplete their ability to perform as they had been doing day in and day out.
To that end, Executive Director Anthony Zorbaugh announced to his staff, volunteers and Facebook friends, that he was forced to shut down operations until further notice to step back and assess what he would be able to do going forward. In his leadership role, and with the support of his friends of The Source, board members and donors, Zorbaugh took the past weekend to make his assessments and has announced the reopening of The Source in this manner:
Beginning Tuesday, August 31:
- Three hot meals for clients will be served from the Dignity Food Truck located in the parking lot of their campus; 8 a.m. Breakfast; 12 noon Lunch; 4 p.m. Dinner and will continue Monday-Friday (media invited to photograph)
- Catering will be suspended until further notice
- The Food Truck will retain any previous planned engagements, including their usual service from the Hyundai parking lot for Friday lunch
- Delivery of meal services will continue to those in need
- Mail service will continue as usual
- They are looking at how to open the Dignity Bus for overnight shelter
- Laundry services are temporarily stalled until the installation of new floors in that space is completed (This renovation had begun and was in process until the shutdown occurred)
- Shower use is on hold until they can properly plan to clean and disinfect the area for continued use
- All other programs will be on hold and assessed on a daily basis
- They are in hoping to hold a vaccination clinic on site and their Food Truck will offer a free meal from the menu to those who come in and receive their vaccination.) Dates and hours forthcoming)
The Source is located at 1015 Commerce Ave., (off of 12th Street) in Vero Beach. For more information, please call Anthony Zorbaugh at 717-435-2312.