The Source Introduces the New Made-to-Order Lunch Menu
Many homeless centers across the country serve meals to their clients. This alone is not a new concept. But The Source in Vero Beach has taken the concept and not only improved on their award-winning quality food served daily, it has been introducing a made-to order breakfast for several months. Now that their choices of eggs, omelets, French toast and pancake offerings have been tried and trusted, they have taken the made-to-order concept to include lunch.
Kitchen Manager and Lead Chef Karlos Ayala claims his western omelet is the most popular choice for the nearly 40 people ordering breakfast each day. “The made-to-order concept has allowed our patrons the freedom of choice based on their needs and tastes” states Ayala. “It’s rewarding for myself and the kitchen staff to see our patrons becoming more independent and dining with dignity through this easy change in how our kitchen operates.”
Speaking of kitchen staff, Sous Chef Elizabeth Agostini became the newest addition to the team soon after the Pandemic struck and her job as a restaurant manager south of Vero was furloughed. “They say timing is everything, “says Agostini. “I was able to settle in to the open position at The Source, and working along with the talented Chef Karlos, has made the job even better.”
Over twenty years of an extensive background in the food industry prepared Agostini for all aspects of working at The Source. Seeing the success of the made-to-order breakfast menu, she helped launch the all new made-to-order lunch menu in February, and by all early indications, it’s a hit. Out of the six featured items on the menu, the favorite is pasta, offering a different sauce each day. The students in the Dining with Dignity culinary program are concentrating on the daily pasta specials, learning new recipes, cutting techniques and equipping them with the knowledge to be ready to work in the food industry.
Breakfast is served Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.; Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00p.m. Lunch is served Monday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.; Saturday is a light lunch at 11:30 a.m. and on Sunday, lunch is served at 12:30 p.m. As for dinner, one plated meal is served Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 4:00 p.m. Looking ahead, a made-to-order dinner is next up at bat!
The Source, a Christian Ministry Outreach Center, offers life-changing possibilities to residents in crisis; offer emergency hunger relief, clothing, counseling, support groups, hygiene items, showers, mail and telephone services, benefit referrals, cold weather refuge, and much more. For those in need, stop in to The Source for an assessment, receive an ID badge for use of the facility, schedule showers, and enjoy a free breakfast, lunch or dinner and any classes currently offered. For more information on The Source, contact Anthony Zorbaugh at 772-564-0202, Ext. 204 or visit www.Iamthesource.org . The Source is located at 1015 Commerce Avenue in Vero Beach.
Photos by Beverly S. Paris, Paris Productions
- Elizabeth Agostini (Sous Chef) with her new made to order lunch menu and Lead Chef and Kitchen Manager Karlos Ayala with his made-to-order Breakfast menu
- Elizabeth Agostini (Sous Chef) with Lead Chef and Kitchen Manager Karlos Ayala showing off their popular Dignity Bowl
- Mindy and Joseph, two news clients of The Source, rode their bikes 300 miles to The Source in need of food and shelter. Visiting homeless shelters throughout the country, they have found The Source in Vero Beach to be the friendliest and cleanest of anywhere they have gone.
- Elizabeth Agostini (Sous Chef) and Lead Chef and Kitchen Manager Karlos Ayala prepare the fettuccine sauce for their new pasta dish on the lunch menu
- Elizabeth Agostini (Sous Chef)at The Source shows off her Dignity Taco lunch, one of six new items on the made-to-order lunch menu.